Steps For Preparing a Home For Sale in Halifax
Sandy and Judy Hines
Preparing your home for sale
- Clean up oil spots on driveway. Apply a fresh coat of black driveway sealer.
- Remove clutter, garbage, dead branches from yard
- Mow, trim and fertilize the lawn. Remove grass clippings.
- Edge walkways & trim hedges and shrubs
- Weed flower beds and replace dead plants and trees.
- Keep driveway and walkways free of snow and ice.
- Clear gutters of leaves and debris.
- Power wash your siding or hire professional.
- Fences: Replace missing or broken slats. Repair broken hinges and paint the fence if necessary.
- Paint front door, mailbox and house numbers if needed.
- Make sure all doors work properly without squeaks.
- Replace unsightly mailbox or rusty doorbell.
- Make sure door bell works.
- Power wash or paint/stain front step.
- Replace any missing or rotten floor boards/railings on decks.
- Make sure all deck railings are secure.
- Clean all windows inside and out.
- Repair/replace broken screens on doors.
- Paint any windows, doors, shutters that require it.
- Keep garbage and green bins out of front yard. Empty and clean.
- Be sure porch lights are working. Add new door mat and flowering plants.
- Remove rusty BBQ and extra propane tanks. Remove broken or rusty outdoor furniture.
- Replace any missing roof shingles.
- Check outdoor electrical plugs. Repair if needed.
- Clean out all sheds. Remove clutter.
- Remove all garbage and recycling
- Take recycled bottles to depot. Remove once a week.
- Remove all clutter and furniture that you don't use.
- Clear paths to all windows, appliances, furnace.
- Move any items blocking view of basement exterior walls.
- Shampoo/replace any stained carpet.
- Replace any cracked floor tiles.
- Clean blinds or draperies. Dust shelves.
- Clean air exchanger filter and outside vents.
- Clean exterior of furnace. Clean or paint over rust/water stains on floor.
- Have furnace serviced and cleaned.
- Stairways cleared of objects and obstacles.
- Clear kitchen and bathroom counter tops
- Repair/replace leaky faucets or toilets
- Freshly clean all linens, draperies and shower curtains.
- If you are a smoker, clean any nicotine stained items thoroughly
- Clean the basement and garage.
- Replace all lights bulbs that don't work
- Replace any missing covers for electrical switches or plugs
- All appliances and sinks should be spotless.
- Clear counters, drawers and cabinets of unnecessary items.
- Put away all dishes. Don't leave dishes drying by the sink.
- Be conscious of odors caused by dampness, hampers, garbage and various foods.
- Caulk around tub, showers if needed.
- Take 50% of your closet contents and put them away.
- Repaint a neutral color any walls that are strong colors. Ask Realtor for suggestions.
- Touch up trim paint.
- Repair any doors that stick or don't work properly.
- Place furniture so that traffic can flow easily from room to room.
- Scale down family pictures, remove trophies and reduce knick knacks.
- If you have a gas fireplace make sure you have gas and that fireplace is operational.
- Remove "ALL" wallpaper and borders and repaint in neutral colors.
- Replace any damaged vinyl flooring with ceramic flooring if possible.
© Copyright Sandy and Judy Hines. All information,within this site including photos and information can only be used with written authorization from Sandy or Judy Hines. Any unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. 2015.